- As the cause of RA is unknown, prevention of the disease has
not been established.
- There are many suggested approaches to prevent or minimize
recurrences or flares. These include proper nutrition, relaxation, low-impact exercise,
flexibility exercises, yoga, tai chi, counseling, meditation, hydrotherapy and
- Prognosis in RA is extremely variable.
- There is some evidence to suggest that the onset of disease
(rapid vs. insidious) may predict the progression of disease. Patients with rapid onset of
disease may show better remission than those with insidious onset.
- Prognosis is worse with large joint involvement.
- Patients with RA require a great deal of education regarding
the need for lifestyle changes to prevent exacerbations, to preserve mobility and
functionality, and for appropriate pain management. Specific education for the ED visit is
focused on the exacerbation or focal problem that the patient presents with.